- Hyperpigmentation: It is caused when the skin has suffered damage on a specific area.
Hyperpigmentation makes the skin produce more melanin turning the specific small area of the skin more dark.
- Hormonal imbalance: it can be related , for instance, to pregnancy, which can cause hyperpigmentation of the skin cells.
- Excessive sun exposure : Excessive exposure to the sun can make the skin of the face produce excessive melanin to protect it from the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
- Liver damage: Dark spots on the skin are also a classic sign of liver damage, because the body is less effective in removing toxins from the cells.
- Acne: Acne can often cause dark spots on the face and other body parts.