UVB phototherapy ( ultraviolet radiation B, 290-320 nm) is a treatment which uses artificial ultraviolet light to treat various skin diseases.
The initials UVB mean ultraviolet light type B. UVB rays are part of the sun light. Used with caution it becomes an extremely effective tool for the treatment of severe skin conditions.
The frequency of the treatment depends on the condition. Initially most patients are treated 2-3 times weekly for a total of 12 to 24 sessions or less.
A dosage increase takes place at every exposure session. First exposures last a few seconds and gradually increase to a few minutes.
After a few months, when the therapeutic result is achieved a weekly maintenance session is recommended.
Significant side effects are unusual. Sometimes a mild erythema occurs which subsides in the next days and must be treated with frequent placing of soothening cream. UVB impact is the same as the sun’s.
Some of the most common skin diseases which are treatable with UVB phototherapy are:
- Psoriasis: is a common inherited skin disorder, which may vary considerably in extent and severity. Neither phototherapy nor any other available treatment affects a permanent cure. Most psoriasis patients will have their psoriasis cleared or much improved after 12 to 24 treatments. At this stage treatments will usually be discontinued. Even without treatment, the skin may remain clear for some months. However, the psoriasis may later flare up again, and further UVB treatment may be necessary.
- Dermatitis: UVB is occasionally used for severe cases of dermatitis, especially atopic eczema.
- Vitiligo: UVB is one of the most effective treatments for vitiligo. It may take several months to see an improvement.
- Other skin conditions: Many other skin conditions have been effectively treated with UVB, including generalised itch, prurigo, cutaneous T-cell lymphoma, pityriasis lichenoides, and symptomatic dermographism etc.
For any further information or to make an appointment, please do not hesitate to contact us by completing the relevant form below:
Για περισσότερες πληροφορίες ή για να κλείσετε ραντεβού, μην διστάσετε να επικοινωνήσετε μαζί μας συμπληρώνοντας την παρακάτω φόρμα:
* Η CyprusDermaClinic, αποθηκεύει και χρησιμοποιεί τις πληροφορίες που καταχωρείτε σε αυτό το έντυπο για αποκλειστικό σκοπό επικοινωνίας μαζί μας για την καλύτερη εξυπηρέτησή σας, σύμφωνα με την Πολιτική Απορρήτου της Εταιρείας. Τα δεδομένα σας ΔΕΝ στέλνονται σε τρίτους.