Acne is a skin disease which occurs when oiliness and dead skin cells clog the pores.
Mild acne is characterized by few red dots while in more severe cases the dots can be hundreds and cover the face, neck and back.
The dots can be big, dense and painful (cysts ).
It commonly occurs during puberty, but it can occur at any age. Some women who did not manifest acne at their puberty can manifest it in their adult life.
During puberty the hormone levels especially testosterone raise significantly.
Consequently the skin glands produce more oily sebum and oiliness increases.
Sebum is released by the pores to protect the skin and keep it hydrated. Acne appears when oiliness and dead skin cells clog the pores.
If microbes enter the pores the result is swelling, redness and pus.
- Some drugs such as contortionists and lithium can trigger the manifestation of acne.
- Acne does not affect only adolescents. Sometimes newborns have acne because their mothers transfer to them the hormones during pregnancy.
- Some diseases of the endocrine system, such as poly cystic ovary syndrome and Cushing syndrome may lead to acne outbreaks.
- Chocolate and fatty foods can cause worsening of acne symptoms, but it was not proven that they can also cause its onset.
- Acne can be hereditary.
Acne symptoms include red, white and black heads. They appear on the face, neck, chest and back. The sizable heads with deep roots are called cystic lesions. These heads can cause pain if infected while they can leave permanent marks on the skin..
Acne treatment may take a long time and you must consult tour doctor if the symptoms don’t subside for a long time.
Acne treatment is a totally individualized treatment, which is distinguished in :
- Topical acne treatment: Is administered to treat cases of mild –common adolescent acne, pregnancy acne and s adjutant to systemic therapy.
- Systemic acne treatment: When acne does not subside with the topical treatment then it is treated by systemic administration of antibiotics, hormonal therapy and systemic use of retinoids.
Other special treatments are:
- Photo dynamic therapy PDT
- CO2 Fractional Laser
- Chemical Peel
- Face microaggression
Acne treatment is an individualized treatment, adapted to the needs and special skin type of each patient. Consequently the results their achievement time depends on the area of acne manifestation, its persistence and the administered treatment.
There are several treatments such as laser resurfacing, microdermabrasion, mesotherapy (micro needling), autologous mesotherapy PRP, chemical peels etc, which can improve eth appearance and texture of the skin. Each is chosen depending on the severity of the case.
For any further information or to make an appointment, please do not hesitate to contact us by completing the relevant form below:
Για περισσότερες πληροφορίες ή για να κλείσετε ραντεβού, μην διστάσετε να επικοινωνήσετε μαζί μας συμπληρώνοντας την παρακάτω φόρμα:
* Η CyprusDermaClinic, αποθηκεύει και χρησιμοποιεί τις πληροφορίες που καταχωρείτε σε αυτό το έντυπο για αποκλειστικό σκοπό επικοινωνίας μαζί μας για την καλύτερη εξυπηρέτησή σας, σύμφωνα με την Πολιτική Απορρήτου της Εταιρείας. Τα δεδομένα σας ΔΕΝ στέλνονται σε τρίτους.